Thursday, August 9, 2007

In a Nutshell

My roommates parents left their life in California and started an organization to help AIDS orphans in Rakai, Uganda. They bought 10 acres of land and started a children's village. This grass roots, non-profit group is made up of regular people and they function and live off of donations from other regular people.

This is the most simple, pure, and uncomplicated act of kindness I've yet seen in my short 23 years of life... so I've decided to go there and help. They need people; I am young, healthy, unattached, and willing to go. So, why not? I can go. I will go.

Now I just need to raise some donations and keep saving the money I earn until I go. After that, it's a life devoted to serving and loving others. I will see death and illness. I will see suffering every day. I don't think I can prepare for those things, but I will take it as it comes. I don't know what to expect. There is no running water; no electricity, everything will be different from all I've ever known. But I am excited to live for someone else and to use what has been given to me for the good of others.

I believe I will see God in the face of those children.

see this video: http://web.mac.com/karla3/iweb/Site/video.html

No comments: