Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tuggin' Along

The past week and a half has been filled with work to raise support. Every day for several hours I'm making phone calls, sending emails, and trying to set up benefit shows and fund raiser events.

At this point I've informed several hundred people about the trip to Uganda.

I didn't expect it to be so emotional. Each time a person says "no" or doesn't give me a chance to tell them about the village-- I get very sad, and have cried a few times.

It's not for me that I get sad but for the kids. I haven't met any of them but have been talking to friends that have gone over, I look at photo's each day, I read the personal accounts of people like me. I already feel attached to the people I will be serving in a few months. And when someone refuses to help-- which they have the right to do-- my heart breaks a little. I'm not speaking of the people that can't help, but of the people that choose not to-- often out of ignorance, prejudice, or simply, cold hearts.

For example, this past weekend I went to a big Christian Conference to speak on behalf of the orphans. I've been attending this conference annually with my family for 13 years. Over 1,000 people attend and each year-- this was a prime opportunity to raise some support for the kids. I spoke to the director and he basically declined my proposal and told me to write a letter and maybe his family would help out. He showed no interest, and quickly said his goodbyes.

I was so hurt. I was so furious, too. Here was a prime opportunity, and he wouldn't even let me ask the people! But you know what, I am going to forgive him and I refuse to judge him. I had prayed ahead of time, and I trust God has a reason for why this happened. Perhaps the money they collected has to go to a more immediate cause with bigger limits. It was a lesson I had to learn. As much as I wanted to say, "LOOK! These little babies have nothing, but I can bring them our love and help!", I just nodded and went to cry quietly in my room. I think now of Little Charles in Rakai, paralyzed because of Polio-- HFU was able to give him a wheelchair and he can move around now. I cry when I hear about him from Sam, and I see the photos on Karla's blog.

It feels unfair to me that people ignore these stories, and I imagine I will experience this type of feeling a lot-- but I refuse to love people less because of it. After all, I have passed beggars many a times. I have told people to "get a job" and not given them a penny. I am guilty, too.

Regardless, I am very blessed and encouraged by the amount of people that are showing interest in donating. This is restoring my faith. I've already received about $250 in donations via paypal-- close friends, family, people I've worked with, acquaintances, and even a boy from Ireland that I've never met! Young students that eat Ramen every day are promising to give me $100 dollars! Bands that barely make money while touring, are volunteering to do benefit shows. There are so many beautiful and willing hearts-- and they are of every color, of every lifestyle, of various faiths (or even atheist); so many people telling me they want to help in every way. Like it or not, we are all God's children and there is a bit of his love in each of our hearts-- we are all capable of Holy Compassion, and I am seeing it first hand. And soon, you too, will see it when I go to Uganda and I show you how your support, prayers, and gifts are working.

Together, we are participating in True Compassion--we are going to help the people of this world that have been forgotten, forsaken, and brushed aside. Together we can do this. It's not for someone else to do. It's you and me, friend.




"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ "Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ "The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me'" (Matthew 25:35-40).

No comments: