Thursday, October 18, 2007

Trip Delay

My trip has been postponed for December 21st, instead of October 22nd. In the mean time, I will be going to Los Angeles to receive training and do some prepatory work "on this side of the ocean" before I go to Uganda.

My objective has been specified as initiating and developing three self sustained businesses in Uganda. My goal will be to start a Wedding Shop, a bakery, and a jewelry making endeavor, in order to provide jobs and income towards the village. If this goal is acheived, then the village will no longer be dependant on donations and will be able to move forward on a larger scale, reaching more of those that are in need. I will travel to the capital, as well as Kenya, and perhaps some other countries in pursuit of business idea's and supplies.

In between the business developement, I will be living at the village, helping at the school, serving the HFU staff, teaching English, serving food, reaching out in the community, and pretty much whatever else they'll have me do.

I am so satisfied with this assignment. I know it will be a big challenge, but I think really good things can and will come out of it. This is a dream come true. I know I might seem backwards or out of my mind for actually being excited about this, but I see this as a major opportunity and life changing (for me and them) experience. Many have told me, "stay home. get married. have kids." or "get a career, get a house, settle down"... but that just doesn't work for me right now.

as my man Bruce Springsteen says, "Baby, I'm on fire".

No comments: