Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A Second Summer (California!)


Friends, family,

I am now in California... and yes, I have visited In-N-Out, quite tasty. I left New York just before a major snowstorm hit, and now, here, every night feels like a summer evening. I’m wearing summer clothes and it's December! I'm enjoying the West Coast for the weather and the scenery-- so much open space, and rolling hills, and Valleys, it's unlike anything I've ever seen before.  The strangest thing, though,  is seeing Christmas lights next to palm tree's. No snow, no naked tree branches... but I don't mind. A second summer. Oh, and! Magic Mountain is part of our backdrop!  

In Uganda news, it looks as though the trip may be postponed again due to Ebola. There's been a terrible outbreak in Western Uganda (if you've seen the film Outbreak, then you'll remember what a nightmare this plague is). It's an atrocious and painful illness, kills 90% of those infected with it. Highly contagious, and requires quarantine. Entire villages are being quarantined, and those infected are being abandoned because of this deadly, new strain of Ebola. It's unbelievable how much the natives endure. Pray for them. 

Being here is making me more aware of what's happening in East Africa, and is helping to prepare me for the big move. It was wise to come here. I help at the office with administrative tasks-- there is a remarkable amount of legalities and paperwork in NGO's, it's enough to keep staff on this side of the ocean! These women are not only compassionate souls, but also diligent businesswomen. True role models. I feel as though I am part of something truly good, and am grateful for the opportunity to help. I think it's rare that we love what we do; rare that we believe in what we're doing...Believe in it so much that you are willing to give everything up.  I am deeply moved by the stories and the photos, so much so, that the daily grind is a reward. The harder we work here the more we can accomplish overseas. 

 

Check out this article about the Wedding Shoppe we will try to open in Kampala:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070423/NEWS/704230323



PS:  my mom is having a hard time now that I've left home...Give her a hug next time you see her. Ah, the impeccable endurance and patience of mothers, as we children venture off into this wild, unpredictable world! These sort of life decisions affect more than me, and I thank you, mom and family and friends for giving your blessing to me. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and now the missing of you starts.. i'm so glad to read your words, keep it up, lovely lady.